Required Skills, Knowledge and Competencies:
The T&D Line Design Engineer will work on electric transmission and distribution projects. Work will include field surveying, drafting with AutoCAD, line layout/routing in PLS-CADD, and completion of required design calculations with backup documentation. Project types will include design of aerial and underground electric distribution and transmission lines. Engineer is expected to work independently with minimal design supervision.
Major job elements include Field survey (existing conditions assessment and as-built documentation); Completion of design calculations (strength; clearance; thermal rating, EMF fields); design and analysis of pole structures; design and analysis of foundations; analysis of lattice towers; layout of new line route; Preparation of Right-of-Way drawings; preparation of Construction Drawings and details; Preparation of Bills of Material; preparation of construction specifications.
- Utilizing PLS-CADD, prepare models, perform route selection, line and structure spotting and optimization
- Prepare conceptual design options including economic conductor and pole analysis
- Perform preliminary and detailed design to support bids and construction projects, including new build projects, upgrades and rehabilitation; in conformance to applicable codes, standards, design criteria, and contract terms
- Liaise with WEPSC construction managers, clients, and subcontractors to establish good communication and relationships
- Perform structure analysis and design of pole, framed and guyed structures, and foundations
- Perform analysis and design of conductors for sag, ground clearances, spacing, galloping, etc.
- Prepare material and construction specifications, design criteria and construction drawings
- Prepare material take-offs, scopes of work, and bid packages
- Manage and support transmission engineering subcontractors in cases where design services are subcontracted
- Provide support to construction teams
- Troubleshoot and provide solutions to transmission line related problems
- Prepare and maintain company transmission line engineering and design standards
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university is a must. Candidate having a Professional Engineer registration is preferred. Candidate must have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a good driving record. The successful candidate must be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Minimum BS degree in Civil/Structural, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the design of T&D lines in wood, steel pole and/or lattice towers
- Registered EIT (Engineer In Training), and eligibility of Professional Engineer registration within one year
- High level of proficiency with PLS-CADD and PLS-POLE
- Familiarity with NESC and other current regulatory requirements and codes relative to transmission line design software
- Proficiency with AutoCAD software
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Skilled in MS Word and MS Excel
- Ability to travel, approximately 10%
Excellent interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communications skills. Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Capable of applying intensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices to broad areas of assignments, and of devising new approaches to problems encountered. Ability to work in a team environment and to coordinate the work of various engineering disciplines and contractors to complete an integrated project.
Candidate will be subjected to industrial and power plant atmospheres, exposed to areas that have high voltages and electrical currents present in low-medium-high-extra high voltage substations, and intense noises. Candidate may be required to wear hearing protection, safety harness, and other personal protective equipment (PPE). Must be able to crawl, climb, and able to pass a fit for duty physical exam. Primarily performs office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Candidate should be able to lift up to 50 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.